|By Rich Lewis at Burlington Press
www.burlingtonpress.com | www.burlingtonpresswebservices.com
In marketing, we never know if we are doing anything right until the psychologists study it. So they have and here are results from several studies of Internet site visitors. It boils down to 15 facts you should know about how people view websites.
- Text attracts more attention than random pictures. However, visuals with text such as info-graphics are very good at grabbing attention when someone is browsing.
- People start viewing your website from the top left corner.
- Readers ignore banners. Sorry online advertising industry.
- Fancy fonts are ignored. You are reading a backlit screen, simple, san-serif fonts like Arial and Verdana are best.
- People only scan the lower parts of your website. Newspapers have a saying that anything below the fold is not as noticed as the content above the fold.
- Short paragraphs work better than long ones. A page of text is much more inviting and looks easer to read if it is broken up into short sections and paragraphs.
- Lists are better at keeping your reader focused than large paragraphs.
- Expanding that idea, avoid large chunks of text. Some people even completely ignore them. If you do need it add some visuals to break it up a little. Also look to break the text up into logical sections and spread it out over multiple pages.
- Ads, that are placed on the top or left part of your website, get the most views.
- Ads, that are placed inside or below an awesome piece of content, get more views.
- Big pictures attract more attention than small ones. I know you probably already figured that out, but it’s nice to know the psychologists agree.
- Also headlines draw attention. Hence the name “Headline”. It’s pretty obvious but it is also very important.
- Visitors spend more time looking at menus and buttons than other parts of your website.
- White space is good, But don’t waste it.
- Menu works best when placed on the top part of your website.
Some of this is obvious, some not, but it is all important and needs to be considered when designing a website.